Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Surrender

So, despite all my well-laid birthday plans, yesterday did not go as anticipated. We were sick. Very sick. Even the birthday boy. I won't go into detail, but we were in pretty pathetic shape, trust me.

Today as her daddy and I slowly recuperated, Alaina woke up shiny and bright and ready to jump into the day like nothing had happened. I tried in vain to get her to rest or take a nap or even hold still long enough to read a book, but she'd have none of it.

After her brother came home from school and they both went to play outside, I heard her little three-year-old voice getting higher, and louder and more frustrated by the minute. Finally, she came rushing up in a storm of tears declaring that he had hurt her. "I said I was sorry!" came the distant interjection from the backyard. Somehow unmoved by this heartfelt apology, she climbed up on the couch by me. Her little limbs and face were chilled through and I wrapped a blanket around both of us and held her close as I smoothed her hair back from her tear-streaked face. She was out in less than a minute.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, if we stop running around and fussing and are still for just a minute, maybe what we really, really need will catch up with us.


1 comment:

  1. Loving the blog! That picture at the top is so precious. Sorry you were all sick. Tell the boys Happy Birthday from us.

    ReplyDelete