Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hanna Barbera, the Bard and the Babe


Remember this episode of Tom and Jerry? The sitter is talking on the phone and the baby makes a b-line for the great outdoors and crawls all over creation with Tom risking life and limb to save him? I say "him" because I happen to know that baby was a boy...and his name was Caleb!

Every time a door opens - front, back, garage, whatever - that kid's face lights up and he tears over to try to make it out before anyone can snag him. I have a very clear mental picture from that cartoon of the baby's little backside waggling back and forth as he crawled down the sidewalk and I have seen it repeated several times now in real life, but at about twice the speed.








"O wonder!
How many goodly creatures
 are there here!
How beautious mankind is!
O brave new world,
        That has such people in't!"


(Yeah, he's partial to Shakespeare, this one..."Na na na na na, you can't catch me...")

Even just coralled in the back yard the other day, he managed to crawl through the knees of his first pair of pants - definitely an important milestone in any boy's life.

There's a whole lotta world out there to see, buddy, but for now, please just wait a minute. I'll get my shoes and then we'll go take a look at it all together.


No comments:

Post a Comment